Mike Reedy, RC icon and pioneer, has passed away

May 17, 2011 19 Comments by

Mike Reedy, founder of the legendary RC manufacturer Reedy, has passed away. In addition to his company, Mike is well known for his Reedy International Off-road Race of Champions event that has proven to be one of the most unique and popular races in the hobby. Mike joined forces with Team Associated in 1980 and Reedy-powered RC vehicles have won more world championships than any other manufacturer.

”We are incredibly sad to hear the news of Mike’s passing. He was a true pioneer and icon in the hobby. He was always a gentleman and will be sincerely missed.”–Louis DeFrancesco, RC Car Action Publisher

Mike Reedy

Featured News

19 Responses to “Mike Reedy, RC icon and pioneer, has passed away”

1. Steve Weiss says:

RIP Mike, We will all miss you

2. Brad Geck says:

R.I.P. Mike Reedy

3. Greg Blankenship says:

You will be Missed, RIP!

4. Butch Kloeber says:

God Speed Mike!

I will miss you.

5. Ruffy Rios says:

My deepest condolences to family and all of his close friends at this time, as Mike is now in a much better place.
    Thank-you Mike for all the great times, We will all dearly miss you.

6. M.R. Ogle says:

Very humbled to hear of Mr. Reedy’s passing.

However, I also remember too many good times and funny stories to remain sad when I think of him.

You were a true original, and the RC world owes you all the respect we can give. Be at peace, Mike.

7. Linda Novak says:

Mike was a true legend in our industry, and he will be greatly missed by my family as well as his extended R/C family.

I first met Mike in the Santa Ana building, and admired his passion for work and especially for mentoring young racers. He made such a difference in the lives of so many racers. That will be one of Mike’s many legacies.

It was special for me to be in Mike’s presence last night and be with friends who loved him. I will miss you Mike, your stories, your smile, and especially your laughter.
    Rest in peace.

8. Babytoy101 says:

Sir Mike Reedy, your my inspiration in motor tunning and in winding brushed motor. We will never forget your Legacy and contribution to the R/C world.

Rest in Peace Sir.

9. Promatchracer says:

RIP Mike You will be missed

10. Mark Pavidis says:

I will never forget the first time I met Mike Reedy it was the very first Reedy Race held at Hot Traxx. My motor was not running good and I took it over to him to work on and he just gave me a new one and said good luck! Shortly there after Mike offered me a sponsorship through Reedy and Associated. I worked for Mike when I was at Associated for 10 years. We traveled the world together racing and without his support over the years I would not be where I am at today. Mike you will be missed

11. Anonymous says:

R.I.P Mike. Thank You for all of the impact you made in the Radio Control world. R.I.P

12. Anonymous says:

mike was a genious and all around good guy he will be missed and r/c will never be the same

13. James Mikoliczyk says:

It’s times like this that I realize just how long I have been in the hobby. The Reedy name and Mike himself put a mark on and in the hobby that will be missed and hard to live up to.

The constant chase of perfection was and is a driving force within the Reedy brand name and I can only guess that Mike played a big part in that. The term of Legend is very fitting. So many racers and people in the industry have used or heard about things that Mike had a hand in. To say that he will be missed is an understatement.

Very few people or companies have been at the forefront of the industry time and time again. Mike and the company he started, Reedy, are one of the few.

On a side note I also saw that there has been a loss within the Picco family. Two Legends, in their own rights, have gone on to the last race in the sky. May both be at peace and have the coolest new race item perfected for when the rest of us get there.

14. John Gay says:

RIP Mr. Reedy. We Thank You for everything you did for us and the RC Car Industry, we’ll never forget you.

To Mike’s family & friends: Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

15. Darrick Wong says:

It’s a great loss. “Reedy Modified” was by default the racing motor of choice. Rest in peace, your name will never be forgotten in this industry.

16. Django says:

WoW; I knew the Reedy-Name for more than 30 years, read everything about the Reedy-Races – and have a mother who also suffers from parkinson.
    It really hits me to hear from Mike`s passing away. He has alway been in my mind since I´m in this hobby… really hope, he has found peace.

17. Mark says:

Mike a long long time ago you taught me the ins and outs of a stock brushed motor, after that my motors were very fast. and what did you ask me for in return for teaching me? just a thank you.
    Mike was a person that this hobby was all about, HAVE FUN WITH GREAT PEOPLE.
    the R/C world will miss you greatly.
    rest in peace buddy.

18. Mike Reedy, RC icon and pioneer, has passed away says:

[...] RC Car Action Tags: away, icon, Mike, passed, Pioneer, Reedy [...]

19. Mike merrick says:

I will always remember your kind help and advice all those years ago. Rest easy.