98T The Lotus Legend Reborn
The history behind our latest Carisma Racing release is ingrained in Formula One folklore. The Lotus 98T was a truly innovative F1 car designed for Team Lotus by Gèrard Ducarouge and Martin Ogilvie. It was raced by the legendary Brazilian Ayrton Senna, and his teammate, Scottish driver Johnny Dumfries in the 1986 Formula One World Championships.
The chassis featured a low Carbon fibre, Kevlar and Alloy monocoque design, a Renault EF15B turbocharged V6 engine and a six-speed, manual Hewland racing gearbox. There are unconfirmed reports that the Renault EF15B produced in excess of 1000 HP at unrestricted boost pressure, making it one of the most powerful and iconic engines ever used in Formula 1. Other innovations the 98T brought to F1 included a two-stage ride height adjustment, water injection and an advanced micro computer controlled fuel injection, that for its day was revolutionary. The car fittingly had its debut at the 1986 Brazilian Grand Prix, when Senna promptly took second place. Over the season it attained 8 pole positions, 8 podium positions and 2 wins. The 98T was the last Lotus car in history to carry John Player’s famous black and gold colours. On many levels this car truly epitomises 1980’s F1, and Carisma Racings latest release a fitting tribute to both the vehicle itself and the driving legends of that era of motorsport.
The CRF-1 – Race Winning Innovation
The CRF-1 has a brand new, Innovative 2WD race chassis. It was designed and tested in Europe, both taking the TQ and winning outright the first BRCA F1 National of the 2019-2020 season. This platform has been designed from the ground up to do just one thing…win!
The body is licensed via Classic Team Lotus. this not only a fun and icon RC F1 car to own, its also a collectable snapshot of automotive history. We could have built a F1 car that looked great, but that ultimately then didn’t deliver the outright performance racers crave in parity. Instead we developed the CRF-1 platform to be as adjustable as possible, to cater for every track/surface type and driving style. The components and materials used represent the finest and most durable for this type of racing. The technical specifications below may seem a long and in-depth list, but one that’s very necessary to compete at the very highest level, and be able to fine-tune the set up and chassis geometry to win races.
Main Technical Specifications
- Full Carbon Fibre Race Chassis, Aircraft Grade Alloy and Composite Components.
- Unique front bulkhead design for multiple set ups and ease of on-the-fly tuning.
- Rear pivot pod with innovative side shock sliders and optional Dual-Stage Suspension.
- Every aspect of the geometry is fully adjustable to dial in any track condition.
- Real world tested. No theoretical, No simulation, Race proven.
- The 98T body is race spec Polycarbonate, supplied clear (but pre-cut).
- Includes full detailed decal sheets, including Senna helmet detailing.
Front End Innovations
- Adjustable Castor 0-14 deg by changing 1 shim
- Adjustable Camber -3 to (as much positive as you want) by adding shims
- Adjustable Ride Height by changing shims under front end assembly
- Metal Pivot balls for increased durability and smooth movement
- Aluminium upper arm mounts
- Built in reactive castor (5 degrees) for increased steering
- Durable steering blocks with 2 steering link mounting positions
- Adjustable roll centre by adding shims under top arms
- Extra long front wheel axles to allow a multitude of wheels/tyres to fit
- Easily Adjustable front width
- Industry STD front springs on the king pins
- Adjustable Ackermann settings – 3 positions from the kit.
- Front brace helps support the front end and increases front to rear chassis stiffness
- M4 screws used to mount the front end assembly into sturdy aluminium mounts for maximum durability
- Castor mount supports the front end to reduce chances of tweak on impacts
- Dual Ballraced single pivot aluminium steering bellcrank
- 2 Wheelbase settings using the same parts
- Steering lock stops
- 1 piece stiff lower suspension arm – more steering and less chance of tweak
- Accepts all ETS allowed wings and others
Rear End Innovations
- Increased centre pivot angles allow huge pod movement – huge advantage on bumpy tracks and curb riding.
- Lightweight 2 piece aluminium bulkheads
- Ride height adjustable via shims under the aluminium bearing holders.
- Smooth durable ball differential with thrust race built in
- Accepts all 14mm hex wheels
- 4 screw option for holding the motor in place, extra durability if required.
- Increased motor cooling due to the open pod design
- Carbon Rear wing mount with multiple height positions for fine tuning the handling to the wing you choose.
- Carbon brace under rear axle – increase durability
- Accepts all ETS allowed wings and others
Side Damper Tube Shock Innovations
- Tunable rear pod side angles – reduce angle with shims / accepts front suspension springs for an industry first dual stage suspension.
- Side Damper tubes tunable with different oils/greases and have coil over springs with adjustable threaded collars to adjust tweak settings.
- Accepts 1/12th scale centre shock springs
Centre Shock Innovations
- Large stroke centre shock – better over bumpy tracks
- Oil filled coil over spring design
Wheels, Tires, All Electrics, Paint, Threadlock and Tools.