RC Car Action revealed the SCX10 II Cerokee via spy shots yesterday [You can see if here], now we have all the info… We are very excited about the all new SCX10 II from Axial and we are looking forward to getting our hands on a review sample of this awesome scale trail truck. With this truck you get a chassis mounted servo, a all metal gear transmission with two-speed option, more realistic looking axles with spiral cut gears and more. Let’s take a closer look at some of its features and if you scroll down past that you can see a video of the truck in action and the official press release from the gang at Axial.
Here you can see the size difference between the old axle (ghosted) and the new one. The pumpkin and axle tubes on this truck are considerably smaller and designed to look more like a real axle. The ring and pinion gear use sprial cut gear and the designers raised the height of the pinion gear to get the shaft and therefore drive shaft further away from the ground. Look at the large bearing close to the pinion gear that adds a little more strength.
Here you get a better idea of how high the pinion shaft is on the new axles and how much extra ground clearance you get. The new transmission is much wider than before but all of it’s weight is as low as possible.
Am I the only one who thinks the transmission housing looks like a real transmission housing? With it you get adjustable gear mesh and it looks like there’s easy access to the spur gear. 32 pitch pinion and spur gears add strength.
The Kingpin angle has bee changed to 8 degrees to improve the truck’s steering. This angle reduces tire scrub which allows the truck to turn better and it puts less stress on the servo.
I really like the detail that Axial gave the body. We see bumpers and roof racks on other vehicles but this truck also comes with an adjustable tow hitch (and we are wiling to bet that Axial will release a trailer to hook up to it) and that grill is a well detailed injection molded piece.
2005 marked the birth of the Axial brand, and shortly after, thoughts about the first SCX10 began, with development wrapping up in 2008. The SCX10 was introduced to the world as a builders kit, paving the way, or better yet, raising the bar for a new generation of scale trail enthusiasts. Previously, hobbyists had to “scratch build” a rig which presented a lot of technical hurdles to overcome. The SCX10 kit gave these “artists” time to focus their attention on other things like personalization and visual customization by removing the issues scratch-built scale rigs presented. And, it wasn’t just as a great kit to build, it was also a very capable driving machine, making it the de facto scale rig the world over. The SCX10 chassis platform provided all the technical attributes as well as scale looks with its signature all-metal twin c-channel frame, solid performing transmission and axles that provided enough realism with capabilities to match.
With the SCX10 II, we’ve kept essence of the SCX10 there with all-metal twin c-channel frame rails, but that’s only 2% of the 98% of a completely new design. Scale AR44 high pinion axles, a chassis mounted servo (CMS), re-designed transmission, front mounted battery tray, all aluminum suspension links, and a properly designed suspension for nearly zero bump steer. These are just a few of the features built into the all new SCX10 II.
AR44 HI-PINION AXLES:
- High pinion gears for added ground clearance & better driveshaft angles
- The high pinion design allows increased gear surface contact for increased durability
- Larger load bearings used around the gear set to reduce flex and create a stronger drivetrain
- Single piece axle housing for added strength
- Small pumpkin for increased clearance and a more realistic, scale look
- Front and rear 1-piece lockers
- Bolt on link mounts
- Knuckle carriers and straight axle adapters have a better mounting system with 10-degree increment adjustments
- Optimized gear ratio – 3.75 compared the previous at 2.92 – this reduces torque twist at the axle which is typically seen with other small pumpkin axle designs
2000 JEEP® CHEROKEE BODY:
Comes with molded scale detail parts (Grill with clear lenses, mirrors, door handles and liftgate trim panel). Clear Body with detailed decal sheet and window masks
SCX10™ II TRANSMISSION:
- Transfer case design helps keep the driveshaft’s centered and as low as possible in the chassis
- Final drive ratio range 33.69 – 54.15 with available spur – pinion gear combinations
- Comes with 56T spur gear and 15T pinion / 32-pitch for durability
- All metal internal gears for strength and durability
- Final drive ratio (FDR) 40.44 with a range from 33.69 – 54.15 – Original SCX10 was 33.06
- Scale looks mimics a full size transmission and transfer case
CHASSIS MOUNTED SERVO (CMS):
- Scale looks with proper suspension geometry
- Anodized aluminum links included w/ M4 rod ends
- Adjustable servo mounting system allows for a wide range of servos to be used
- Properly designed suspension for nearly zero bump steer
AR44 UNIVERSAL AXLE SET:
- Up to 45 degrees of steering
- Smooth action for an efficient drivetrain
- Compact yet durable design
- Hardened steel construction
- 8 degree kingpin angle
- Improved scrub radius over the AX10 axle
ALL ALUMINUM SUSPENSION LINKS:
- All links are metal including the steering
- Custom tapered center – flared ends design
- Large M4 rod ends
- Grey anodized aluminum
1.9 METHOD MESH WHEELS
In an industry that’s all about the latest and greatest, while taking advantage of styling trends, sometimes the ‘less is more’ approach is quite refreshing and the mesh wheel offers just that. Clean, simple and METHOD STRONG! These officially licensed METHOD Mesh Wheels are replicated in true form for durability and a clean line look.
1.9 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 TIRES – R35:
- Officially licensed by BFGoodrich
- 4.65” x 1.65” / 1.9 (118mm x 42.5mm)
- R35 compound
- Wheelbase adjustment is easily done in the rear end without affecting the steering geometry and maintaining zero bump steer.
- Adjustable wheelbase (11.4”/ 12.0” / 12.3”) with optional links sold separately
- 4 link rear
- 12.3” wheelbase
ICON ALUMINUM SHOCKS:
- Fully licensed Icon Vehicle Dynamics™ shocks feature clear coated polished aluminum bodies, complete with aluminum faux reservoirs. The main body of the shock is threaded for quick ride height adjustments and pre-load tuning ability. Like their full size counterparts these shocks are completely rebuildable, tunable and offer consistent handling all while adding some of that Icon bling to your SCX10™ chassis.
- 61-90mm Aluminum Shock Set with 7mm piston
JCR OFFROAD VANGUARD BUMPERS:
- Scale front and rear bumpers licensed by JCR Offroad.
- Rear mount has been extended and stiffer plastics chosen to help limit the typical sag seen in plastic bumpers
- Lenses included for light locations on bumpers
- Rear tow hitch included for added scale appearance
JCR OFFROAD XJ ROCK SLIDERS:
- Scale rock sliders licensed by JCR Offroad.
- Specifically sized to fit the Axial Jeep® Cherokee body
- Adjustable widths
JCR OFFROAD ROOF RACK:
JCR Offroad roof rack with mounting points for optional lights
ADJUSTABLE BATTERY TRAY:
- The new adjustable battery tray is now relocated lower and further forward for better weight distribution and center of gravity (COG).
- Adjustable tray that prevents the battery from coming loose or shifting while driving
- Posts are included to fine tune the fit based on the battery you choose
- Easy access for quicker battery changes
- Can accommodate batteries up to 32x44x147mm (3S 5,000 mAh)
STEEL C-CHANNEL FRAME RAIL CHASSIS:
The realistic high strength c-channel chassis frame is made of durable steel with cross bracing for reinforcement and is held together with all hex hardware. Realistic looking frame and cross braces improve chassis rigidity (torsional stiffness). Realistic shock hoops with multiple shock mounting positions allows you to adjust your suspension for maximum performance. The simplified design makes maintenance and assembly quick and easy. The contoured skid plate significantly reduces hang-ups on terrain. Compared to the previous design, additional holes have been added to the rear portion of the frame rails for making wheelbase adjustments.
- Wire routing has been thoroughly thought through to help keep your chassis layout looking clean. In addition to including wire clips/guides, there has been a channel created that runs the length of the chassis so you can run additional wires hidden inside the c-channel frame.
- Optional mounting points and wire routing for a chassis mounted servo winch and 2 speed shift servo
WATERPROOF RECEIVER BOX / ESC TRAY:
- Three different silicone seals are included, one for the antenna, one for the servo wires (includes three slots for three channels), and one that acts as a gasket for the receiver box cover. No more stress when running in mud, water, or snow!
- Waterproof receiver box located on the side plates allows easy access and low center of gravity
- Clean mounting surface for your ESC is large enough to accommodate up to 50x40mm footprint
WB8 HD WILDBOAR™ DRIVESHAFTS:
- WB8 HD Wildboar™ front and rear driveshafts feature an updated design with a larger diameter cross pin (2x11mm) along with an M4 Screw Shaft (2mm hex drive) for added strength. A center splined slider floats between each end and features added material which reduces flex and fatigue.
- 3-piece driveshaft with strengthened slider-floater tube
- Increased surface at the connection between the ball joints and output shaft tubes
- 2x11mm cross pin adds 25% more surface area providing more strength for the ball joint
- Captured cross pin design eliminates older set screw design for more durability/easy maintenance
- Adjustable length driveline parts included in box
Jeep, the Jeep grille and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Axial Inc. © 2016 FCA US LLC.
BFGoodrich® Tires and All-Terrain T/A® KO2 Trademarks are used under License from Michelin
NOTE: Prototype shown. Some imagery may differ from the actual product. Electronics shown are not included.