New from Kyosho:
With three rapid-fire victories immediately after its debut, the new ULTIMA SC-R has made a huge impact at major ROAR racing events. The exciting category of short-course truck racing is now an officially sanctioned racing class and is becoming increasingly popular in Europe and Japan as well. As a different driver achieved each victory, the performance of the ULTIMA SC-R has come into sharper focus. Compatible with ROAR racing regulations, the ULTIMA SC-R kit is fully equipped with a range of high performance optional parts for a racing edge right from the start and at a great value. Similar in size to a 1/8-class model, the lightweight finish weighs in at only 2,000g and a popular Readyset version is already available (Ultima SC RTR) for those who like to hit the dirt without delay. Short course truck racing has never been more dynamic with the advanced design and performance of the new ULTIMA SC-R!
- Ball Differential Set – Includes an optional ball diff set (UMW602) as standard equipment, which provides efficient traction transfer and precision adjustment to suit all racing conditions.
- Velvet Coated Shocks – Kyosho is well known for silky smooth shocks and the new Triple Cap shocks included with the new Ultima SC-R are no exception. The shock body consists of three major components, a top cap, velvet coated threaded bodies, and a lower cap. The velvet coated shock bodies feature a threaded spring pre-load collar for quick and easy adjustment. The threaded adjuster features an O-ring that prevents the preload settings from moving, which ensures consistent performance from start to finish. The lower shock cap allows for quick and easy maintenance of the double O-ring seals.
- Hard Rod Ends – The rod ends feature a new, stronger material that is more durable and resists contamination from dirt. This means that the rod ends stay tighter and are less likely to be damaged or separate from the ball stud in the event of a hard crash.
- Steel Sus. Bushings – Steel suspension bushings provide strength and endurance for aggressive driving and superior durability.
- Revised Rear Hubs – Factory drivers have determined that only one of the hinge pin holes was ever used in the original RB5 wheel hubs, so the extra hole was eliminated for the new SCR. Combined with a new, more durable material, these hubs are not only much stronger, they’re also lighter and the new geometry produces more stable handling characteristics
- Carbon Composite Chassis – The chassis plate is 40mm longer then the RB5. Light and strong, featuring a specially formulated carbon fiber composite for the best balance of peformance and durability. Strategic braces molded into the chassis enhance the stiffness without adding any unnecessary weight. Seperate front and rear clips allow fast and easy removal of the front and rear end of the car, which makes maintenance and repair much easier. Designed to accept stick packs and 2 cell lipo packs, the SC chassis features an adjustable battery mounting position that allows you to shift weight bias to suit track conditions and your driving style.
- Transmission – Features an externally adjustable three-gear design with an internal ball differential that uses standard 3/32inch diff balls and 1/16inch thrust balls. Includes tight-fitting molded dust cover to protect pinion and spur gear.
- Rear Suspension Symmetry – The arms are symmetrical so a single replacement arm can be used on either side of the car. The inside of the arms are attached to the chassis using separate suspension mounts, which will allows anti-squat adjustment. Vertical ball studs for both ends of the upper link suspension geometry can be fine-tuned with shims.
- Floating Axles – While floating axles ride in bearings that are mounted in the hub instead of the wheel, this moves the weight of the bearings inboard for more responsive suspension. The bearings are under less stress, and they’re better shielded from the elements.
- 12MM Hex Wheel Hubs – 6 contact points spread the load on the wheel to prevent stripping and the larger, flat mounting surface keeps the wheels running straight and true.
- Steering Assembly – The steering bellcranks are mounted on the chassis at the same angle as the suspension arms. This eliminates bump steer and produces more accurate Ackermann geometry throughout the entire range of steering motion. The steering plate (center link) features horizontally mounted ball studs, which means the Ackermann can be fine tuned by using shims behind the ball studs offering a nearly infinite range of adjustments.
- Captured Hinge Pins – A simple button head screw captures all the outer hinge pins of the Ultima SC. The rear inner hinge pins are truly captured between the suspension mounts, and the notched inner front pins are secured with a setscrew through the front suspension mount. This means that the hinge pins are much more secure and less likely to come loose.
- Efficient Slipper Clutch – Features 2-piece slipper clutch that provides traction efficiency.
- Universal Swing Shafts – The SCR comes equiped with rear universal swing shafts giving you maximum performance with no power loss.
- Teflon Sealed Bearings – 10 super high performance Teflon sealed ball bearings are included as standard equipment, giving you the edge over the competition.
- Hex Hardware – This high level race kit comes with all hex head hardware.
Wheelbase (min): 329.5mm
Track Width: 274mm
Final Drive: 11.2 F1 :1
At a Glance:
- Ball Diff Set
- Velvet Coated Threaded Oil Shocks Front & Rear
- Universal Swing Shafts
- Adjustable Hard Rod Ends and Tie Rods
- Steel Sus. Bushings
- Teflon Sealed Bearing Set
- Hex Hardware
What is a KIT?
A KIT is a higher level vehicle that includes nearly everything you will need to build a rolling chassis. You will need to supply items like motor, esc, tires, wheels and radio equipment. Required items may vary from kit to kit so please see Required Items For Completion section for full list.
- SC-R Kit set
- Special wheels (black)
- Hex wrenches – 3 sizes (1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm)
- Cross wrench (small)
Required For Operation
- 2-channel, 1-servo R/C System for cars
- Speed Control / Motor
- Tires / Tire insert
- 7.2V Ni-Cd/ Ni-MH/ Lipo battery
- Battery Charger NiMh or Lipo
- Batteries for R/C system
- Body (UMB601 Pre-Painted Body) (UMB651 Clear Body Set)
- Pinion gears
- Paint for body / Tools for assembly / Instant glue
Available: July 2010
Trevor “Chilly” Duncan
Online News Editor
Radio Control Car Action