The ultimate RC parts cleaner

May 06, 2011 8 Comments by

A while back I was stuck with the task of a long over due cleaning and overhaul of my RC8T. Granted it needed to be done but I wasn’t looking forward to pulling out the extensive array of brushes and cleaning agents to get my truggy all cleaned up. Then, all of a sudden the light bulb light up as a looked at an ultra sonic cleaner. These are often used for industrial parts cleaning, jewelry shops, and even spent ammo shells. Now you just can’t dunk the entire truggy into the ultra sonic clean. So I removed electronics, motor, bearings, and diffs. Left in hand was all the plastics, drive lines, chassis, and various odds and end parts. Dropped it in the cleaner at a low temp and turned it on for over half an hour. I was blown away with how clean the parts were. Dirt was removed from places I never even knew was possible. The results pretty much told me one thing, I need to use this much more often. Granted, when the cleaner gets put to use, a full tear down is taking place. So the next time your looking for cool new tools, take a look into getting an ultra sonic cleaner.

20110506-020423.jpg

Featured News, John Cary

I've raced just about every type of RC car, traveled the world shooting RC races, but at the end of the day though, you'll most likely find me behind the wheel of a 1/8-scale nitro buggy at my local track. I'm a Southern California native, which on any given day allows me the opportunity to race on just about any surface or facility of my choosing. Before I was heavily into RC most of my attention was focused towards photography. Since, all of the experience that I've gained and learned has been projected towards RC photography. I'm fueled by the idea of creating something new every time I head to take pictures. Whether it's portraits, racing action, or a track panoramas.

8 Responses to “The ultimate RC parts cleaner”

1. bill mossor says:

how much is it ?

2. Anonymous says:

How bout an inexpensive solution. something for the weekend warrior.

3. average racer guy says:

and this is practical because its only $800 !!! wtf? id rather completely tear down a car and clean each individual piece than spend 800+ on a cleaner. if i could rent or borrow one for around $50 then heck yes i would use it. other than that, its a waste of money. thats what i think

It certainly isn’t cheap, but there are plenty of people who are really serious about this hobby. Serious enough to buy something like this. A personal transponder costs $100. A tiny red piece of plastic. Way too expensive in some people’s eyes, yet something many of us couldn’t live without for even double the price. OK, maybe not double, but you get the idea.

4. Danny says:

Harbor Freight Tool has two sizes, the small one is 24.99 (size not listed), and the large one is 2.5 liter and 69.99, maybe not large enough to do your entire kit at once but still very do-able if you want to go this rout.

5. Nitrohobbiest (Mike) says:

I was about to say Harbor Freight, thanks Danny! And my mother had a sonic cleaner for jewelry that she gave to my wife. Once I figure out where she hid it, I’m gonna give it a whirl on my parts. I don’t mind hand cleaning the big stuff. I’m more interested in a good way to clean my bearings efficiently. you can get some good life out of your bearings if you can get them cleaned well. Then lubing them is better worth your time knowing your not lubing up pieces of dirt, too!

Also would like to mention my other new favorite tool which is the vibrating tumbler. With a gentle abrasive media like plastic or walnut shells, you can remove rust from fasteners, and clean up your dirty, or corroded aluminum parts. I’m still experimenting with it but I believe you could do just about any cleaning with it if you use the proper media and time it right.

6. The ultimate RC parts cleaner says: