Final Build Photos
|Please rate this ride
|Machesney Park, IL, United States of America|
|Readers Ride Title||Tamiya Grand Hauler|
|Chassis Model||Grand Hauler|
|Body Model||Grand Hauler|
|Electric Motor Brand and Model||Axial 540 Brushed Motor|
|Speed Control Brand and Model||Tamiya MFU|
|Battery Brand and Model||Hyperion 2s 1600mAh|
|Wheels and Tires Brand and Model||Tamiya Grand Hauler Tires|
|Paint Brand and Model||Tamiya Paint|
|Scale Accessories Brand and Model||Full fenders from Shapeway.com
PoGo stick from Gear Jammer RC
Metal Headlights from Garden Trucking
Aluminum Air Breathers, and CB antennas from Ebay
Breather lights (cant remember where I found them)
|Light System Brand and Model||Tamiya MFU lights
Also got and soldered my own lights too
|Radio System Brand and Model||Traxxas Radio and Receiver from a Summit.|
|Sound System Brand and Model||Tamiya MFU|
|Further Description/Back Story||I been in the hobby for well over 10 years, and always wanted to build a semi. In the beginning of 2020, after a friend got a semi, I bit the bullet and purchased the grand hauler kit. I didn't want to just build a basic kit, I wanted to build the version on the truck I drive. A 2000 Peterbilt 379 daycab.
So right away I knew I would be in for some work. I cut off the sleeper portion and put in a 3d Printed back wall/window to fill the gap. I also cut out the stock headlights and filled them, since I was going with a different style headlight. I think the most time consuming part of the build was the body work. I spent forever it seemed filling and sanding the portion of the body that was getting work. Building and shortening the chassis was the fun and easy park. its cool trying something different.
Painting the body I started out with a primer. then a pearl white was the first color. Followed by taping gunmetal gray was the 2nd color. Followed by a red (cant remember the specific color) as the final color.
Trying to fit the huge Tamiya MFU into a daycab with all the wires and lights was, well, tricky would be the best way to put it. But after a bunch of trial and error I was able to cram everything in that tiny area. I tinted the windows to try to help hide the mess.
I never cared for the super tall stack look that some people do, with help from a friend we shortened the stacks using a bandsaw and a lathe.
Battery location is behind the cab, I made a compartment under the deck plate for it to sit in. So its very easy to install, and take out.
For the lighting there are 44 lights, at least 18 of them started out as bare 3mm led lights that I soldered together.
Overall the truck turned out very well. I want to build another one in the near future. The flatbed in the photos I bought from someone, its a homemade.
Build Process Photos