Yep, you read that right. I’m going to be taking the Traxxas TRX-4 and making a 2.2-inch monster truck out of it. The 2.2-inch monster truck class is a growing segment of the solid axle world and I’ve been wanting to build a new truck specifically for that class. The other day I was looking the TRX-4 over and I realized that it has many unique features that have never been used in the solid axle world that will make it a real performer. Take a look at what I’m planning to do with this sweet truck.
I’ll be starting off with a bone stock Traxxas TRX-4 and with some simple modifications it will be turned into a sweet monster truck.
Sure, the axles don’t look like the ones under a monster truck but I’m not looking for a truck that is 100% scale. I’m looking for performance and these axles will give me that in two ways. I’ll leave the rear differential open and the front axle will be packed full of thick grease to slow it down. When racing, there are times when I like to have a spool up front and thanks to the stock radio and servos I will be able to lock up the front diff before attacking the track. Then I can lock the rear diff along with the front and have maximum front and rear traction for freestyle. The other advantage to these axles is that they reduce torque twist so my truck will be less likely to twist off the line and that will allow me to run a lither sway bar when traction is low.
Want to see more? Become an RC Car Action Premium member to see all of “Kev’s Bench” every Monday.
RC Car Action Premium offers members exclusive content and the first look at the latest projects, shoot-outs, how-to’s and more!
Membership includes exclusive access to…
• 8+ years of digital editions of RC Car Action.
• Digital editions of special issues, previously only available on newsstands
• Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get RC Car Action on your mobile or tablet device
• 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop
• Contests & giveaways only for members
• 30 years of RC Car Action archives
• Exclusive photos and videos
• Unique posts and columns just for Premium members