We are seeing a trend in 1/8-scale electric racing where people are building lightweight 1/8-scale buggies out of 4WD short course trucks. Tekno RC is one such company that is on top of this trend and it has recently introduced its own version of a lightweight buggy called the EB48SL. Basically what you get is a Tekno SCT410.3 short course truck with the parts needed to turn it into a lightweight 1/8-scale electric buggy. Once built you have a platform that can run lighter weight and cheaper electronics such as a 2S LiPo, 550 motor and smaller speed control. This trick buggy has features such as a super narrow layout, low CG lightweight motor mount, triple gear diffs and lots of adjustment to allow it to tear up the track. We really love where this trend is taking us. Will a lightweight nitro buggy be next?
Keep up with all the latest gear–bookmark our Hot News & New Stuff forum!
At Tekno RC, we pride ourselves on listening to our customers and responding to popular demand. After releasing the original SCT410 4×4 SC truck, many people were ‘converting’ the SC platform into a 1/8th scale buggy that utilized the lighter drivetrain and suspension components of the SC. This led us to release a conversion kit to accomplish the task easier. The acceptance in the marketplace was immediate, as many customers could now run a 1/8th scale buggy using 2s lipo batteries and Pro4 motors and ESC’s. Furthermore, they could run on some tracks that didn’t allow for ‘full weight’ 4s lipo powered beasts.
Then we thought, “why not make it even easier for our customers to get what they want and offer a full blown SL kit?” Enter the EB48SL. Tekno RC was the first company to offer a purpose built 1/8th electric buggy when it hit the scene a few years ago. And now we’ve done it again with the first purpose built ‘Super Light’ 1/8th electric buggy. The EB48SL is built on the new SCT410.3 platform and shares ~95% parts compatibility with it. All of the new improvements and features put into the SCT410.3 are all present in the EB48SL, along with a couple others specifically for the buggy.
The EB48SL represents a new and emerging class that is far more accessible to more people just starting out in the class. Batteries, motors, and parts are less expensive than their full weight 1/8th cousins. The kit itself is also an undeniable value and is backed by the best customer service in the industry.
But enough of that – how does it perform on the track? ‘Easy to drive fast’ would be the best way to describe the SL. Full traction patch of a 1/8th scale tread with much less weight and a touch less power results in maximum traction and corner speed. The EB48 is known for it’s steering, jumping ability, and efficiency and the SL continues this legacy.
Lightened differentials, lightened driveline, and lightened aluminum parts are standard and used throughout. 16mm bore, aluminum threaded body, long travel shocks are standard. Updated SCT410.3 suspension geometry is standard. Split center diff mount and lightened chassis are standard. This is how we say ‘thank you’ to our customers, by providing maximum performance at a reasonable price.
THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR THE EB48.2. THIS IS A NEW 1/8th BUGGY KIT FOR AN EMERGING RACE CLASS.
- 4mm CNC lightened aluminum black anodized chassis.
- Super narrow layout – widest point is only 125mm (less than 5”) mudguard-to-mudguard.
- Class leading front and rear clearance (short chassis overhang) provides better bump handling and jump landing.
- Lightweight aluminum pivot balls and suspension bushing are standard.
- New lighter camber link rod ends and turnbuckles.
- Adjustable, LCG lightweight wing mount.
- Integrated battery tray/mud guard, battery is sunken into chassis for a super low CG.
- Integrated electronics tray/mud guard for easy removal of electronics.
- Spacious, enclosed, easy access radio box with integrated transponder mount.
- Adjustable chassis brace system for fine tuning flex with front, center, and rear braces.
- 2-piece CNC aluminum motor mount with precision dual clamping gear mesh adjustment.
- LCG lightened motor mount insert is standard.
- Split center diff mount for easy maintenance.
- Lightweight direct-to-diff mount design.
- Uses standard MOD 1 pinion gears (TKR4171-TKR4190).
Differentials and Drivetrain:
- 3 fluid filled adjustable super lightweight diffs.
- Newly redesigned precision diff gears with innovative 1-piece cross-pin design for increased durability.
- Lightened outdrives and diff couplers used throughout.
- Aluminum tapered aluminum center driveshaft.
- Angled rear gearbox with large bearings reduces wear.
- CV driveshafts with captured pins on all 4 wheels.
- Standard 17mm wheel hex fits standard 1/8th wheels without the use of adapters.
- Straight center driveline and less rotating mass = better acceleration and efficiency.
- 16mm bore CNC aluminum hard anodized threaded shock bodies.
- 4mm hardened steel polished shock shafts.
- 4mm 7075 aluminum LCG shock towers are standard.
- New clamping spring perches with captured shock boots.
- Innovative conical piston design (not just tapered) provides varied compression and rebound rates.
- Fully adjustable long travel suspension geometry maximizes stability and traction while providing superior cornering and on-power steering.
- Triple guide design for true consistent shaft action.
- Options for vented cap, emulsion, or standard shock configurations out of the box.
- Optional springs and sway bars available.
Suspension and Steering:
- All new SCT410.3 front and rear suspension geometry.
- New V2 hinge pin brace system for incredible adjustability.
- Adjustable front arm sweep and angle to make the car more aggressive (swept forward), or easier to drive (swept back).
- New longer rear sway bar for better consistency.
- ‘Narrow pivot’ steering posts provide ‘0 bump’ geometry with almost 0 steering slop.
- 4mm inner, 3.5mm outer hinge pins, polished for smooth action.
- Adjustable Ackermann and bump-steer (bump in, 0 bump, bump out).
- Steering system is fully supported on precision ball bearings. No bushings here.
- Exceptional wear characteristics. Leave the slop and warping to the other guys.
- Easily adjust anti-squat, rear toe, front arm angle, front arm sweep, roll center, toe, camber, wheelbase, Ackermann, bump steer, suspension geometry out of the box..
- Extremely easy to work on with minimal screw count.
- Shares many parts with the SCT410/EB/NB/ET/NT48 = less parts in your toolbox.
- Compatibility with many existing parts and options.
- All metric hex hardware.
- 100% Tekno RC Designed and Tested in Southern California.
Weight: ~2950g (6.5lb) – depends on equipment used, can be setup much lighter
Diff Ratio: F/R – 10/40t, Center – 44t
Battery tray dimensions: 50x148mm
Needed to complete:
- 2 channel radio/transmitter
- ESC and Pro4 SCT motor
- High torque steering servo
- 2s LiPo battery
- 1/8th tires, wheels & CA glue
- paint for body
- Hex tools (1.5, 2.0, 2.5mm), nut drivers (5.0, 5.5, 7.0mm), 17mm wheel wrench, pliers, other tools
Part #: TKR5004
Desc: EB48SL Electric 1/8th 4WD Competition ‘Super Light’ Buggy Kit
MSRP: $699.99 ($439.99 suggested street price, no MAP)