For a while I have been wanting to cut up a Tamiya Clod Buster body and mount it on a trail truck chassis and I have finally started the process. I started by dovetailing the front end (and you can see how I did that in the Jan 18 issue of Car Action) and now I’m in the process of turning the cab into a crew cab. Here’s what I have done so far.
I used painters tape as a guide and used my razor saw to cut the back of the cab off.
I also used the tape and razor saw to cut the front of a second body off. I cut the roof just in front of where it curves down and the doors were cut near the end of the window.
Once I had the door at the length that I wanted it to be I sanded the paint and primer off the outside and inside of the body to give the glue plenty of plastic to stick to.
I used a clamp to line up the panels and used liquid glue to glue them together. One the joints dried I glued patches on the inside joints to strengthen them.
To reduce the amount of filler that I have to use on the roof, I heated the plastic of the back roof with a hair dryer and raised it up slightly to line up with the back of the front roof.
I used .080 thick plastic to fill the gap between the front and rear cabs.
Plastic sheets were glued to the sides to help form the opposite side of my rear window.
I ground down trim around the sun roofs and patched them with .080 plastic sheet.
I used Bondo Spot Putty filler on the roof to smooth it out. Several thin coats will be applied and sanded before it’s ready for paint.
I’m going to start working on the window area of the rear door next. The top of the window is pitched up since I raised the roof. I’ll add a little piece of sheet plastic to blend it in.