One of my favorite parts about building kits and projects is trying to get the perfect paint job on the body. That’s not the easiest thing to do on an injection molded body like you find on a vehicle such as the Tamiya Clod Buster and RC4WD Trailfinder 2. It’s been about three years since I painted an injection molded body and I think I nailed it on this one for the Tamiya Clod Buster. That’s a nice shine! To get the body to where it is it took 8 coats of Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red paint (Yep, I used spray paint. No airbrush action going on here.) and a some sanding with 3200 grit sandpaper between coats. The final sanding was done with 6,000 then 8,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper after letting the paint dry for a week. I finished it up with Mothers Sealer & Glaze. I have to complete the panel under the grill and the tailgate piece to finish the truck up. I think it’s safe to say that this sucker is looking pretty good so far. Just wait till you see the Tamiya Freightliner Cascadia Evolution that I am painting. A sneak peak of the body is below.
Jul 21, 2014 No Comments