This RTR buggy comes equipped with a Vanguard brushless 2900KV electric motor, AE-3 Vanguard brushless ESC, AR-3 2.4GHz radio system, and much, much more. Check out all the features in the official press release below:
The EXO™ Terra Buggy RTR builds on the EXO™ kit version which features a variety of fully licensed, realistic features including a licensed Griffin radiator, licensed Hankook Dynapro MT tires and Raceline Renegade wheels. To meet the demands of today’s performance thirsty drivers, Axial worked with Castle Creations to develop a brushless system that had power and the ability to handle popular 3S Lipo battery packs (*battery not included) for an incredible, high performance experience right out of the box. At the end of the day, that’s what the EXO™ Terra Buggy delivers – durability, superior four wheel drive handling and intense, high performance off road action!
ROBUST MOLDED ROLL CAGE DESIGN
The cage closely resembles what you’d find on 1:1 vehicles making this a strong and proven tough design that keeps the EXO™ well protected.
QUICK RELEASE BATTERY MOUNT
Our patent pending quick release battery mount is easily adjustable to fit any battery pack. The flexible rubber straps are connected to a hinge on one end and the other contains a pin that keys into a composite plastic latch that keeps your battery securely in place. There’s also an integrated “lift assist” mechanism which puts the battery in the best position for removal. The lower plastic end plates are adjustable which allow you to fit any battery pack, and in most cases, two batteries will fit standing on edge. The motor position is centered lengthwise and battery is positioned towards the center for balance and stability.
Battery removal is easy. Remove two body clips to remove the side body panel and you gain access to the battery compartment. Then, simply push down and lift up on the two straps and your battery can then be removed. Easy as that! LiPo battery recommended (not included). NOTE: BATTERY MUST HAVE DEANS® ULTRA PLUG® CONNECTOR.
REALISTIC SCALE DETAILS
The EXO™ features a variety of fully licensed, realistic features including a licensed Griffin radiator with realistic fan blade and grille cover details (included but not installed), licensed Hankook Dynapro MT tires and Raceline Renegade wheels.
Developed by Castle Creations for Axial, the Vanguard ESC provides exceptional power, braking and adjustability. The 2900kv Vanguard Brushless motor helps the EXO™ RTR quickly get up to speed and efficiently put power to the ground through the 4WD EXO™ drivetrain. The complete system is 3S capable which will allow you to lay down some serious power!
STANDARD 32 PITCH GEARING
The EXO™ utilizes standard 32 pitch pinion and spur gears to provide more tooth surface area for durability and efficiency to put its power to the ground!
4mm ALUMINUM CHASSIS
The center chassis is made from 4mm thick aluminum for durability and features recessed pockets to lower the center of gravity.
THREE OIL-FILLED DIFFERENTIALS
Three, silicone oil-filled differentials transfer power to all four wheels and because they’re oil-filled they can be fine tuned with optional oil. Each differential features four sintered gears housed in compact differential cases. This also allows the EXO™ to use compact and streamlined bulkheads for reduced weight, meaning less spinning mass for higher performance.
DURABLE DRIVELINE COMPONENTS
The stub axles are held in place by two bearings, an outer small bearing, and a large inner bearing. The larger inner bearing increases durability and stability. The steering pins are steel for less wear and increased durability. The axle is mated to a standard 12mm cast aluminum hex hub.
2.2/3.0 RACELINE RENEGADE WHEELS
Raceline is by far the most popular wheel for extreme duty off-roading. Their ability to stand up to the abuse demanded by the full-size racer and their show quality finish is second to none. The officially licensed Raceline Renegade gives the EXO™ that authentic racing look as well as providing the strength to handle whatever you can dish out!
HANKOOK DYNAPRO MT TIRES
The EXO™ features realistic, officially licensed Hankook Dynapro MT tires that perform as good as they look. The front tires are narrow (34mm) which help the EXO™ navigate the terrain while the rear tires are wide (41mm) putting the power to the ground with enough traction to keep the EXO™ firmly planted. Internal ribbing helps reinforce the sidewall to prevent it from folding over which keeps the tires working at peak performance.
Threaded shock bodies, multiple shock positions and adjustments for ride height, suspension travel, toe, kickup (rear), camber, roll center and ackerman allow you to fine tune your suspension for high performance.
TUNED SHOCK SPRINGS
Finding the right spring rate can be tough. Axial made it easy for you by including what we found to be the right balance of high speed and harsh terrain handling. The spring rate we’ve chosen keeps the EXO™ on course and ready for your next obstacle!
PROTECTIVE SKID PLATE BUMPERS
The front and rear bumpers are hinged which allow them to flex upon impact, protecting the EXO™ from crash damage. Aluminum skid plate inserts add an extra level of protection and feature an embossed surface for added style.
The chassis has plastic routing clips throughout which helps keep your receiver and servo wires snug and away from moving parts which could shred the wires.
WATERPROOF RECEIVER BOX
Our waterproof receiver box keeps your radio gear protected from the elements and with integrated wire management, it keeps the receiver leads organized and away from moving parts.
PATENT PENDING ESC CLIP
Three ESC mounting clips are included with the EXO™ – one installed with the Vanguard ESC mounted, one allowing you to mount a variety of common ESC’s, and a universal mount.
AR-3 2.4GHz RECEIVER
- AR-3 2.4GHz receiver – no crystals required.
- No frequency conflicts for worry-free driving.
- Bind button and LED makes setup easy!
- Lightweight, compact size.
AX-3 2.4GHz TRANSMITTER
- AR-3 2.4GHz receiver – no crystals required.
- 2.4GHz, 2 channel pistol grip radio.
- Reversing switches for steering and throttle.
- Trim dials for steering and throttle centers
- Low battery indicator light.
Vanguard Brushless 2900KV Electric Motor
- 2900KV motor
- 2 pole design
- 3mm motor shaft
- Laser etched logos
- Black anodized motor can
- Blacked out motor wires are clearly labeled A, B and C for an easy and stealthy installation
Vanguard Motor Specifications:
Dimensions: 1.42 x 1.85 in (36mm x 47mm)
Weight: 6.8 oz (194g)
KV (RPM/V): 2900kV
Voltage Input: 3S Max
Shaft Diameter: 0.125 in (3.175mm)
Wires: 13AWG Silicone, 7 3/4 in (197mm)
Connectors: 4mm male bullet connectors
AE-3 Vanguard brushless ESC
- 2S and 3S Lipo compatible when used with our Vanguard motor (Not all brushless motors are 3S compatible, so be sure to double check the manufacturer’s battery limits for their individual motors)
- Lipo cutoff is set to “ON” from the factory
- ESC can be programmed manually via Castle Field Programming Card or through the Castle Link software interface.
- Integrated heatsinks help dissipate excess heat
- Simple initial throttle and brake programming
- Standard Deans® Ultra Plug® included
- 4mm female bullet connectors for simple plug and play applications
- Compatible with brushed or brushless motors (Set-up for brushless from the factory)
AE-3 Vanguard ESC Programmable Features:
- Brake/Reverse Type – sets ESC’s reverse mode, and how it is applied. Reverse can also be disabled.
- Brake Amount – sets the percentage of braking power at full brake. Low-grip surfaces will require less braking power to stay in control, especially when entering corners.
- Reverse Amount – sets the percentage of power applied when reversing, if reverse mode is enabled. Lower percentage for less speed, higher percentage for more speed.
- Punch/Traction Control – sets the percentage of power applied at start-up. Use less power for low-grip surfaces, use more power for high-grip surfaces.
- Drag Brake – sets the percentage of brake that is automatically applied at neutral throttle. Brushless motors have a lot less drag than brushed motors. This mode allows fine tuning to match the slight braking effect of a brushed motor at neutral. Higher percentage of drag brake will give you more braking power at neutral throttle.
- Dead Band – sets throttle sensitivity from the neutral position. Less dead band gives a more instant throttle response. More dead band yields a less instant throttle response.
- Cut-Off Voltage – sets the voltage threshold at which the ESC removes power from the motor. For use with Lipo batteries to retain a safe minimum voltage. This feature can be turned off for use with standard NiMH packs. High capacity NiMH packs (5000mah or higher) are recommended for best results.
- Motor Timing – sets the timing advance on the motor to reduce or increase amp draw, run time, motor/battery temperatures, top speed and punch. Great for fine tuning performance.
AE-3 Vanguard ESC Specifications:
Voltage Input: 2S-3S LiPo (7.4V-11.1V); 6-10 NiCd/NiMH (7.2V-12V)
BEC: 3A @ 2S input
Current Rating: up to 100A
Dimensions: 1.95 x 1.51 x 0.83 in (49.5mm x 38mm x 21mm)
Weight: 2.1 oz (62g)
Motor Wires: 4mm female bullet connectors
Battery Wires: 13AWG 4.72 in (120mm), with Deans® Ultra Plug®
Receiver Wire: 10 3/4 in (273mm), with universal radio connector
Motor Limit: on 2S/4200kV Max; on 3S/2900kV Max
Protections: low voltage cutoff, thermal protection
Please note it is very important to monitor ESC and motor temps during your first initial run to ensure temperatures remain reasonable. If temps are too high under normal conditions try changing the overall gear ratio with either a smaller pinion or a bigger spur gear.
REQUIRED ITEMS (NOT INCLUDED)
- aa batteries
AX90024 – Axial EXO – 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Terra Buggy- RTR – $479.99
The new AE-3 Vanguard ESC and Vanguard Brushless 2900KV Electric Motor are also available seperately:
AX24260 – AE-3 Vanguard ESC – $150.00
AX24010 – Vanguard Brushless 2900KV Electric Motor – $130.00