The sport of Rock Crawling has become a major part of the R/C world, and Team Novak is proud to introduce their newest and smallest brushless rock crawling ESC to the crawler line up, the Timbuk2 Crawler Brushless ESC – 2S (#1832). The Timbuk2 is designed to work with Novak’s Ballistic and older-style Super Sport Rock Crawling Brushless Motors. Basic operation of the ESC remains similar to its predecessors the Goat 2S and Goat 3S, but Novak has taken the advice of rock crawlers and completely updated the braking adjustability and other features of the Timbuk2. New brake adjustments means even more control and response from your crawler.
TAKING THE MYSTERY OUT OF ADJUSTABILITY
A feature that is central to the Timbuk2 is the complete on-board programming. No extra devices, plugs or cards are needed to maximize the features of this ESC. The Timbuk2′s easy-to-use button and LEDs will guide drivers to their desired setting and allow them to make changes ON THE ROCKS! But have no fear, if adjusting and tuning is not your game, the setup out of the box works extremely well. You can tune anything from the strength of the brakes, to how smooth the throttle response is, and even the rotation of the motor. With dozens of combinations, the Timbuk2 has what you’ve been searching for in a Brushless Rock Crawling ESC.
In addition to its compact and lightweight design, the Timbuk2 uses advanced MOSFETs that are incredibly powerful, yet small in size. This has allowed Novak to create a powerful ESC that boasts tons of power—all in a shockingly small package. The Timbuk2 footprint is only 1.15” x 0.95” and weighs in at a paltry 0.69 oz, making it 40% smaller than the Goat 2S. Additionally, the Timbuk2 is essentially two ESCs in one. When it is used with a standard brushless motor, the Timbuk 2 utilizes the Novak Edge ESC non-crawling software and can be run down to a 10.5T sensored brushless motor.
AVAILABLE IN A SYSTEM
The Timbuk2 is available on its own to use with your current Novak Rock Crawling Sensor-Based Brushless motor, or as a system, paired with the Ballistic Crawler Motor, the Timbuk2 / Ballistic Crawling Brushless System – 18.5T (#3225). Either way you’ll quickly find you have no need for pricey 3S LiPo batteries. With the Timbuk2 and a Novak 18.5T Crawler Motor, you will have both stump-pulling torque and drag-racing top speeds!
For specifications and features regarding Novak’s Ballistic Crawler Motors (#3618, 3619), visit: www.teamnovak.com.
The Timbuk2 Crawling ESC and Timbuk2 / Ballistic Crawler Brushless System will be available in August 2011.
TIMBUK2 CRAWLER BRUSHLESS ESC SPECIFICATIONS
Motor Compatibility …………. Sensored Brushless
Fwd/Brk/Rev …………………… F / Drag Brake / R (F/B/R when used with a non-crawling motor)
Input Cells ……………………… 2S LiPo/Li-Fe or 4-7 NiMH
Size ………………………………. 1.15” x 0.95” x 0.66” (29.0 x 24.3 x 16.8 mm)
Weight (w/o wires) …………… 0.69 oz. (19.5 g)
On-Resistance ………………. 0.00057 ohms
BEC ………………………………. 6.0 volts DC / 2.0 amps
Motor Limit……………………… 540-size: 18.5T (Novak Crawling Version Brushless Motors only)
Wire Size ……………………….. 14G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
Status LEDs ………………….. 5
TIMBUK2 CRAWLER BRUSHLESS ESC FEATURES
- Designed especially for the demands of crawling vehicles to maneuver over the toughest terrain
- Sensor-based for excellent torque and low-speed driveability
- Compact and lightweight design
- Novak’s exclusive Hill/Drag Brake for significantly stronger hold brakes that can hold the heaviest rigs on the steepest inclines
- Compatible with Novak Crawling Brushless Motors 18.5T or 21.5T
- Two ESCs in One—when used with a standard brushless motor, the Timbuk 2 utilizes the Novak Edge ESC non-crawling software and can be run with a 10.5T or higher sensored brushless motor
- Water-resistant case with silicone gasket seal to help keep out the elements
- Built-In Voltage Cut-Off Circuitry prevents damage to LiPo/LiFe batteries
- Built-In 6V output for optional accessory fan or other detail items such as running lights
- User friendly One-Touch programming interface with five colored status LEDs to help personalize the speed control’s settings
- 9 adjustable parameters: Hill/Drag Brake, Minimum Drive, Dead Band, Throttle Curve (Linear/Expo), Brake Frequency, Reverse End Point, Drive Frequency, Motor Rotation and Voltage Cut-Off
- Built-in diagnostic temperature monitoring that lets you quickly check the ESC’s operating temperature at any time
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor’s sensors are working properly
- Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the ESC from overheating
- Novak’s One-Touch Set-Up™ for quick, easy transmitter set-up
- Plug-and-Play– Factory wired with Tamiya® battery plug & gold-plated Bullet motor plugs
- Gold-plated direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- Factory installed power capacitor
- User-replaceable input harness
- Meets RoHS compliance and includes 120-Day Warranty
- Designed, assembled and tested by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally sourced components
#1832 – Timbuk2 Crawler Brushless ESC – 2S
#3225 – Timbuk2 / Ballistic Crawler Brushless System – 18.5T